Friday, January 30, 2009

Northside Johnny

Once in a while, you hear the name of a band and you somehow know that their music will be sublime. It's just the name.

In the lazy summer of '77 I heard about a beat combo called Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. I knew they played the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ, along with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and Little Stevie and his Disciples of Soul. However all of this was a dreamland to a lost boy in Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham, UK, struggling through his 'A' Levels.

Bruce went on to be an international megastar and Democrat poster boy. Little Stevie became Steve Van Zandt, political rebel and then Soprano. Southside Johnny though - I don't know what really happened, but I do know that, when I listen to this ensemble, years fade away and a town twinning between NJ and BA which only ever existed in my mind, nevertheless lives on forever.

1 comment:

ASBURYJUKES.NET said...

Honzad, you seem to be a guy of my taste... though I've been raised in industrial Germany's heartland, and am only a handful of years younger, I do fully connect to this little post a lot! You do for sure still remember Borussia Moenchengladbach - oh what many magical matches we had with the LFC... foremost 1973... what a year for football! That's where my life with the game began!

But well... reason I'm posting this is... you should really get yourself in the UK touring circuit again! Since 2001 there has not been one year where Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes have NOT been playing the UK!

I saw them first in 1979, and they still are THE BEST BAND in the world... as for Southside, well... he's still Southside!

Go http://www.asburyjukes.net